Tuesday, August 23, 2011

tutorial: nebula inspired manicure

Previously I wrote two posts about space nails. Those were very simple manicures that I did by layering some polishes - a darker base and a glitter or shimmer topper. What I have for you today is a nebula inspired manicure which I did using the sponging technique and I'm going to show you how to do it, step by step. It's more complex than the other two, but it's very easy to do. I tried replicating some designs that I've seen on some blogs I follow and ended up with a version of my own.
Click here for take I and take II.

Step 1: Apply a base coat to protect your nails from discoloration.

Step 2: Choose your base color. I chose Avon Twilight Blue which is a dark blue with blue shimmer, but you can use whatever color you want, though it looks more authentic with dark blue or black. Polish until fully opaque.


Step 3: For the next few step you'll need small pieces of a sponge. I see that many bloggers use make-up sponge, but it works with any sponge you can get. Just make sure that the holes of the sponge are as small as possible. Almost every color works with this look, so go ahead and choose 3-4 colors for the next steps. In my opinion, shimmers are the best for this look. I chose a shimmery gold called Gold Lustre as the base for my nebula. Take the small piece of sponge with your fingers or tweezers, dip it in some of the polish and randomly sponge over the nail. The trick is not to cover the whole nail with the color. I made it look like the letter S.


Step 4: Repeat step 3, but this time use a different nail polish. I used Teal Infusion which is also a shimmery nail polish. Use a small amount and don't cover the whole nail. You can see how the teal polish overlaps the gold, yet the gold is still visible.


Step 5: Again, repeat the previous step, but this time use a very small amount of polish. It's supposed to be more subtle than the other colors. I used a purple with blue shimmer called Purple Passion. You can notice how it flashes some purple, but the other two colors are dominant.


Step 6 (optional): I wanted to see how it would look if I added just a tiny amount of a holographic polish. In my opinion, this is a bit too much for the look, though the flash made it look like it's very shimmery. In real life it's more subtle. You can also add glitters such as hex glitters (see the photo of my full manicure) or maybe even rhinestones. This is up to you. Be creative!


Step 7: Apply a top coat to protect your manicure from chipping.

Here's the version that I did on my hands. I didn't use the holographic when I did this, but I added a few hex glitters instead.

(click for larger)
(click for larger)
Daylight photo - it looks like it's mattified, but it's not :) (click for larger)
Thanks for reading :)

1 comment:

  1. I really like the super small flecks in the polishes you used, it adds such a nice deep space quality to it!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for reading this post. I read and appreciate every single comment you write.