Thursday, July 26, 2012

review: bornprettystore glow-in-the-dark nail polish

Hello everyone!
Almost a month ago I placed yet another order from BornPrettyStore and yesterday it finally arrived. What I ordered was a glow-in-the-dark nail polish simply called CH Nail #2. I know that some of you may think “Glow In The Dark? That’s so last fall!” and I know, but I was one of the unlucky when it came to glow-in-the-dark polishes, as no brand that regularly sells in Macedonia ever made such polish (and even if they made there was no such thing on the market). That, plus the fact that I’m a sucker for everything glow-in-the-dark and you have a purchase! :)


First of all, there is a total of 12 glow-in-the-dark shades available on BornPretty. Each of them has a different color and glows differently, but I chose this one because it seemed to glow a bit stronger than the others on the photos. The shades are available separately for $4.99 each or you can purchase the whole collection of 12 polishes for $55.00. I got mine a bit cheaper, because when I was placing the order it was a rather new product, so they had a promotional price.


Main characteristics
• It comes in a 15ml (around 0.5 fl.oz.) square shaped bottle, with mattified glass.
• The brush handle is round and easy to hold.
• The bottle has a flat semi-wide brush, which is a bit on the stiffer side, but perfect for this kind of polish.
• It doesn’t have a harsh smell like many other Chinese brands, so you don’t need to worry about that (unless you’re very sensitive to smell, then you might feel a difference).


Consistency, application, drying time
• The polish has a thick consistency. Very thick. It even reminds me of hair gel. But, after all this is a special effect polish, so I’m not even expecting to be like regular nail polish.
• The wide brush that I previously mentioned makes it fairly easy to apply, but it might be a bit tricky. Bear in mind that the thicker coats you apply, the better the application will be.
• Not so long after I purchased it, I read a review saying it couldn’t dry at all. I didn’t have the same problem, at all. It dried very quickly, to my surprise.

Appearance in the bottle
When it's not glowing in the dark it has a strong, neon-like appearance in the bottle. In the dark, after being properly exposed to light* it shows neon-like light blue color.

Appearance on the nails
The polish is very sheer. It obviously isn’t made to be used by itself. I only applied 3 coats on my nails (pictured on the photos) and you can see how visible the nail line is. You’d probably get full coverage in around 5-6 coats, but I’m not planning to do that anytime soon :)
The shade looks like a pastel mint green polish in the light. In the dark, it has the same color as previously mentioned.**
The only downside about the appearance is that it has rough feel, very unsmooth.




Pros
• Not expensive. 15ml for $4.99
• Wide brush.
• No harsh smell.
• Acceptable drying time.
• Very strong and beautiful glow after being exposed to light.

Cons
• Thick gel-like consistency.
• Tricky application.
• Very sheer, probably needs more than 5 coats for full opacity.
• Unsmooth finish.

Conclusion
Personally, I’m very satisfied with this product and I’m going to recommend it to whoever wants to purchase a glow-in-the-dark polish. I absolutely love it and can’t wait to experiment with layering on top of other shades.

You can purchase this particular shade here and the whole collection here.
BornPrettyStore works with PayPal and has free worldwide shipping.


* Glow-in-the-dark polishes “charge” either on sunlight or under incandescent light. The effect is way better when exposed to sunlight. It only requires a couple of seconds of exposure, while the incandescent light gives a less impressive effect and you have to keep your hands really close to the bulb (and you may get burned, so don’t do that!). Note that the effects lasts only a couple of minutes and will only appear again if you expose your nails to light.

** Note that the strength of the glow depends on how much coats you add on your nails, as well as the type of base color you put under it (if any).
 
This product was purchased by me. This review is my 100% honest opinion.

19 comments:

  1. Really nice!
    How did you set the camera to take the last picture?
    Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Since I have a dSLR camera I used a lens with a very wide aperture (50mm f/1.8). I set the aperture to the widest and made the exposure a bit longer than usual. Instead of photographing in a completely dark room, I did the photo during the day with my window blinds shut almost to the end, letting just a bit of light in the room. The prolonged exposure will make the camera capture the glow even though the room isn't completely dark.

      Delete
  2. didn't had any problems with drying, just with pictures, i was so disappointed because i couldn't capture it well :-(
    otherwise, love it :-D

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi sweety!
    I just found your blog and I love it!
    You can count with a new follower ;)
    Would you like to check out my blog?
    If you want me to translate any entry just let me know and I will write it in english :)
    btw, AMAZING nail polish. Never heard about that kind of polishes and now it's in the top of my wish list!
    xoxo,
    Alicia.M

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you very much for your lovely words!
      I followed your blog as well :)
      Have a nice day!

      Delete
  4. it'fantastic. Where i did buy it? Thanks

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi I'm a new follower and I'm trying to capture a pic of my Glow-y nails but I jus' cant. Can you help please?? I have a Sony Cybershot camera by the way.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Since it's a point and shoot camera I doubt it has a manual option where you can set the shutter speed or focus manually. I used to use a Sony Cybershot and there's a little trick that you can do in order to prolong the shutter speed. Make sure you're photographing in a completely dark room and turn off anything that may become a source of light (TV, a monitor etc.). Next put it on "P" (program) mode and put the exposure compensation (EV) to +1 or +2. This will make sure the shutter stays open for a longer period, but the photo won't be too bright as you'll be photographing in a completely dark room. Note that this means you'll have to stay completely still for a couple of seconds, so I suggest resting your hand on a table like I did.
      I hope this helps & thank you for following :)

      Delete
  6. hello, i love this color.. where did you get it?

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a pretty effect!!!! It's perfect for New Year's Eve or for going to clubs :D I like it so much!! I never saw it in Italy...... :(

    ReplyDelete
  8. As long as you charge it, its REALLY pretty. I got the green, and it seems to work really well as an overcoat. Overall, I luv it!

    ReplyDelete
  9. People love stealing your pictures...grrrrr!!! So irritating and I feel your pain, so when you requested that someone remove your picture from their blog post and someone else chimed in about it, I put my $.02 in too...
    http://allthenightcats.blogspot.com/2012/08/glow-in-dark-nail-polish-diy.html?showComment=1443148356883#c2881965776056253349

    ReplyDelete
  10. oh, also, I found her blog because your picture was pinned on Pinterest but of course to her blog. You can report this as your intellectual property on Pinterest (I'd search for your picture every where because I first Googled it, then searched Pinterest for "glow in the dark nail polish" and it came up).

    I've pinned your blog, so hopefully it'll get repinned. I've blogged and had so many people steal my pictures - and entire blog posts - which is why I feel so bad for you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for supporting me! Unoriginal bloggers will always exist and the sad thing is they are in bigger numbers than ones such as me that post original content. I've found many of my nail art photos, especially on Pinterest and We Heart It, but sadly due to the nature of these networks, the images spread out really fast (the ones without watermark) and even if I find 5 or maybe even 10 sources, it's just impossible to get them removed.
      Thank you again, I really appreciate your effort! :)

      Delete

Thank you for reading this post. I read and appreciate every single comment you write.